Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Houston's Veggie Burgers: Recipe

When I was a kid, my family used to go to Houston's a lot. (It's a chain in Atlanta. I'm not sure what other cities have them, but they're sort of like an up-scale, more expensive TGI Friday's. I don't think they have much to do with Houston the city and nothing at all to do with Whitney Houston the singer).

I can see now it was a pretty cheesey, overpriced affair but I remember I used to like the restaurant a lot back then. The smells coming from the grill were always really good and smokey, and the warm but dim light from the brass lamps and the bustle and noise of the place just gave it a real particular atmosphere. They built their buildings from the old bricks that were gathered from historic Atlanta buildings that were being torn down. The one we used to go to near Lenox Mall was built from the bricks of the Lowe's Theater in downtown Atlanta where "Gone with the Wind" premiered. They served their cokes in little glass bottles and, unlike a lot of family style places, you at least got real silver and napkins and a tablecloth.

I don't eat meat anymore and I won't go near Coke, so I haven't been inside a Houston's in years. For a long time, the place didn't even have one single thing that a vegetarian could order. But now they've got a veggie burger, and my sister says that it's the best one she's ever had. Maybe if I decide to relive some childhood memories (and have $20 to blow) I'll go to Houston's. But til then I can try out this recipe for Houston's Veggie Burgers my sister sent me.

Houston's Veggie Burgers


4 TB hickory barbecue sauce

1 TB molasses
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 TB oat bran

2 TB onions, finely chopped

1 TB finely chopped canned beets

1 tsp. beet juice

1 tsp. chili powder

1/4 tsp. ground cumin

1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

1 tsp. kosher salt

1 TB pickled jalapeƱo peppers, chopped

1 egg white

2 tsp. olive oil

4 slices Monterey Jack cheese


1. Stir together barbecue sauce and molasses. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, mash beans. Stir in 3 tablespoons of the
barbecue mixture (reserving remaining for brushing)and remaining
ingredients except oil and cheese.

3. Form into four 6 ounce patties.

4. Heat olive oil in a cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat.

5. Grill burgers for 2 minutes on one side.

6. Turn and brush with remaining barbecue/molasses mixture.

7. Top with Monterey Jack and grill for another 2 minutes
or until cheese is melted.

7. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions and mustard on a bun
which has been grilled in butter.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These were really great. It seems like they're really inexpensive to mae as well.

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Houston's truly does have the best veggie burger on the earth! I'm going to make these tonight!

12:33 PM  
Blogger Suze said...

I love Houston's Veggie Burgers! They are the best i've ever had.
I've been to the three that I know of on the west coast and the one in New York. I haven't tried this recipe yet but I intend to.
I found it on this website along with a comment from someone who actually cooked them there before.
http://www.recipezaar.com/120426
Cheers,
Suze

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe. I have been craving a Houston's v.burger for a long time and it dawned on me that the recipe could me on the web. They are truly the best. Thanks for posting

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home